Thursday, August 14, 2008

Adrian: Introduction Time!

It's the eve of PCP round 2, and I'm excited for it to officially begin.  Both Emiko and I have been making shopping lists of all the things we want/need to get - a kitchen and bathroom scale, a blender, free weights, a jump rope, etc.  We've also been wondering what specific kinds of groceries we should be getting from now on.  Lots of eggs, that's for sure.  

Shortly before I discovered Patrick's PCP blog, I had made the decision to start eating right and to get fit.  I looked at myself in the mirror one day, and I saw for the first time how I had let myself go.  It's funny how you can look in the mirror every day and not see yourself clearly.  You see the idea you have of yourself.  But when you do see, it can be a surprise.  Anyway, Emiko and I decided to do this together, because as we've both noticed, it's so much easier to make changes in your life when the person/people you live with, supports you.

So a few weeks ago, we stopped consuming junk food, cold turkey (mostly) and began buying and eating more fruits and vegetables.  At first I thought we'd be saving money by not eating out so much, but actually, we've been buying groceries more often, so it might be about the same, money-wise.  An interesting thing I've noticed since we started dieting, is how addicted to certain foods I am.  I'll see a bag of potato chips and my mouth will start watering, and I'll have to kind of fight myself not to want to eat any.  I feel like Homer Simpson (mmmm...Potato chips...).  It just shows how brainwashed I am to automatically salivate whenever I see a neon-colored bag of artificially flavored flakes.  Fruit juices and candy have the same effect on me.

Aside from eating better, we've also been exercising regularly.  We've been jogging around Lake Merritt here in Oakland regularly.  It's 3 miles around, and we both recently were able to make it around the whole way without stopping.

Well, that's about all I want to say right now.  Thanks Patrick for taking us on, and I can't wait to see how things unfold for everyone!

Adrian

3 comments:

Nate said...

Adrian & Emiko I just wnated to say hey and here we go! I can't wait to see what our journey holds! Let's rock the PCP!

Amy said...

Great intro! 3 miles is no slouch.

Unknown said...

The first time I made the three miles was shortly after I started doing strength training - pushups, situps, etc.