Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Emiko: Day 5, Cravings Cravings, Cravings...

...leave me be! 

It is already Day 5 of the PCP and our "eat only half" diets, and my body has finally decided to rebel. I have had cravings all throughout these five days of dietary change, but Day 5 for me was when, in Patrick's words, "your body might say, 'I've had enough of this BS, hand me a cookie!'" It wasn't just cravings, really, it was the habitual action of filling myself with food and drinks all throughout the day. The cravings only fueled my actions. This constant feeding is more in anticipation of hunger than in reaction to hunger. And that just pisses me off!

At first I was like, "you're right, body, I need a bagel! Ooh, and hand me that pastry. Pour me a latte while you're at it!" You see, I am trying to cut these dense, sweet and buttery breads out of my diet, and am also weening myself off of caffeine. Of course these are all things I'm surrounded by at work, and I used to not think twice about eating or drinking something I didn't really need. I soon got a grip on myself today and said, "Fuck off, body! It's time for me to help us feel better in the long run."

I am so glad that we have the benefit of having a community built in with the PCP. Without that, I may have cut myself more slack today, and just gone downhill from there. Knowing that I have the support of Adrian and everyone here, I just can't give up or give in! (That was probably corny, but I can't help it!)

6 comments:

Tim said...

Wow, I haven't had the munchies that bad - although after lunch I felt hungry again by 2.30.

You can do it.

Amy said...

Don't give up! You are stronger than the cravings. I bet tomorrow will be a lot easier.

miles said...

I feel you there. Fending off that hungry little guy in your head can be tough. I find that if he's really yelling I can just dangle something above his head by chewing a piece of gum or, even better, a peppermint chewing stick. It keeps him busy for a while at least. He really just needs to be trained (which you're already doing). He's like a dog - if you don't feed him when he begs he'll eventually learn that begging doesn't get him anywhere :)

Nate said...

Good analogy MIles.

Emiko hang in there! Adrian post was really nice abut mindfulness. Just remember you have had a latte or a bagel 1,000 times in your life but you have never been in peak-condition!

Adrian and Emiko said...

Thanks everyone. Nate, I actually repeated what you said in your comment, "Just remember you have had a latte or a bagel 1,000 times in your life but you have never been in peak-condition!" to myself today at work...and guess what? It helped so much! Thank youuuuuuu!

-E

Nate said...

Welcome Emiko! Just a little something I read from Patrick's blog lol! Glad it could help