Friday, August 15, 2008

Emiko: Day 1, I Am a Hummus Addict


Well, today is the day!

I started out the day with a slow wake-up at 5:30am, and getting ready for an 8-hour shift at my cafe job. I had a small bowl of cereal for breakfast and shared a banana with Adrian. I biked to work (a new thing for me, but more about that  later) at 6:10am and had a good 20 min. bike ride. Very invigorating in the early morning!

Trying not to eat at work is a big challenge. Apart from avoiding all the milky, sweet lattes and so on, there are bagels galore and we happen to get our fresh cookie delivery on Friday
 mornings. Talk about temptations!

But I did manage to eat only half-servings. I had an ultra small (and cute!) piece of toast with hummus, tomato and cucumber on top. It was delicious, but definitely small. Later, I had a half pita pocket sandwich with 1 slice of prosciutto, some hummus and cucumber. I know, I know..I'm a hummus addict! I have a feeling I might be told not to eat hummus anymore once our diets get more strict (have mercy!).

After biking home I took a rest, and then got to my work out. The jump-roping would have been more fun if I did not whip myself with the rope every 10 jumps! Adrian and I share a jump-rope, so it is a little bit long for me, and I haven't worked out how to adjust to that quite yet. Also, I am just not used to jump-roping. My toes were taking the worst beating from the rope, so I found a solution: my old ballet slippers! They were perfect for the job, and felt good to jump around in. I surprised myself by doing a grand total of 688 jumps. Woo!

The rest of the work out was fine, although I found myself constantly talking and getting distracted (and distracting Adrian, too). I got through it, though, telling myself to not escape from the struggle and burn, because that the struggle was a good struggle and the burn was a good burn...all those weak muscles that were screaming now would soon be strong and useful.

I took a long, warm bath half an hour after the work out, and it was wonderful. It was so good to relax those muscles and reward them for their hard work. I also took that time to do some deep-breathing and to be mindful of the sounds around me for a while. It felt really good.

Anyway, I will end with that for now. Adrian just told me he saw that Amy posted something and I want to read it! See you all tomorrow, Day 2!!

Emiko

p.s. I must confess now that I came this close to eating a spoonful of ice cream...but I resisted! ..somehow!


4 comments:

Patrick said...

You can have a spoonful of ice-cream, if you'd usually eat two spoonfuls. Otherwise, have a half a teaspoon of ice cream. We don't care about eating healthy stuff yet!

Amy said...

Your half-meals sound delicious! Those exercises will get a lot easier - it IS a good burn! :)

After dinner last night R. had a major ice cream jones. Really, when doesn't he have a major ice cream jones? But usually I wouldn't always have some anyway, so I didn't have some last night either. It was hard to decide whether to have a bite of his!

Tim said...

You guys have got the option of going halves on something!! That helps. Mind you the temptation of working with food must be something else. It's all in the mind!!!
Tim

Adrian and Emiko said...

Thanks for reminding us Patrick. We're going to go halvsies on a fried chicken sandwich for lunch!