Thursday, August 14, 2008

Emiko: Introduction Time, number 2!

Hello everyone,

My name is Emiko, the second-half of the Adrian and Emiko team. We are the first couple to be doing the PCP together (at least officially), and I am excited to see how our support for each other will affect our next 90 days.

I am 19 years old, just over a month shy of 20. A lot of my interest in making a major lifestyle change came from Adrian noticing (and me noticing, although partially ignoring) how sluggish, lazy and fatigued I have become. Being a full-time student as well as a part-time cafe worker, I blamed my condition on time commitments, stress and a lack of sleep from school and work. But as time went on, it became clear that I couldn't keep blaming outside sources for a problem centered in this young, once-energized body.

I used to do gymnastics as a kid and played soccer and volleyball constantly until I was 13, but ever since I started high school I kind of spiraled downwards. Between the normal weight-gain at that age and the fact that I went to a weird art school with no PE classes or sports teams (I'm serious!), it was very easy to lose my muscle. I have been in the same shape, and almost exactly the same weight ever since. But the complete lack of energy only emerged in the last year or so. I have a feeling that this has a lot to do with:

1. Getting my first car, which meant a lot less walking than I did when I relied on public transit (and also helped me forget how much I love walking).
2. Moving into an apartment, and realizing I wasn't a very good cook. So Adrian and I ate out. A lot.
3. Working at cafes, where I could munch on yum-yums and sip on milky things for the entire duration of each of my 8-hour shifts.

In the past few weeks, Adrian and I have moved towards eating better and exercising regularly, and let me tell you something about vegetables...what the Project says is true! Eating vegetables all throughout the day, and especially in the morning immediately packed more energy into a single day for me than I would have had in a few days combined. I can't wait to feel that energy escalate as we start the PCP.

Well, I think that I have gone on long enough. I can't wait to begin, and to experience this journey alongside Adrian, Nate, Tim and Amy!

1 comment:

Tim said...

Adrian & Emiko,
Today's the day -good luck.
Tim