Monday, August 25, 2008

Emiko: Day 11, Catching yer ZZZs

So Patrick a.k.a. "Papa PCP" just gave us our newest assignment:
SLEEP.
8 hours.
Every night.
Maybe more.

Why? Well, only by allowing our bodies ample time to rest and recover, do we build our strength. He explained that our muscles literally cannot become strong unless we rest well. And now it is required as a part of the PCP!

This one was a shocker, because with all of the work that goes into our new diet and lifestyle changes, getting up early is a necessity (and Adrian and I were already getting up at 5:30am every day pre-PCP). There is a lot of prep work to make sure each meal runs smoothly, and for Adrian and I (and I'm sure the other PCPers alongside us) the morning is when that happens most. The PCP is a huge presence in our lives and has really changed how we spend and interact with our day.

I feel like I don't really even have time to sleep! Our schedules are already so full: Get up, eat, go to school, eat, cook, eat, exercise, go to work, eat, do homework, EAT EAT and....well, after all that hard work, the length and quality of my sleep at night is sort of an after-thought. I mean, look at me right now! I'm blogging after coming home from work (my night shift gets me home around 11pm) instead of getting the rest I need. I am reminded that the time during the day is not to be wasted. Even those little moments where I let myself be lazy for five minutes, by doing so I am escaping my responsibilities.

This is on my mind especially because tomorrow is a very busy one, and I know I need to be very present in order to get things done well. Adrian and I actually had to sit down and plan every part of the day, because there is just that much to do.

Well, I had better go get my beauty sleep (now known as BUFF SLEEP!), and gather my strength for tomorrow!


Goodnight y'all!

4 comments:

Patrick said...

Buff Sleep, I love it. Can I put that in the book?

Nate said...

I agree, Buff Sleep = Classic PCP lingo

Tim said...

Where I come from, sleeping in the buff has another meeting!!

I'm with you guys on the time problem. Not enough time, too many vegetables to steam ......

Amy said...

dude, how do you get up at 5:30? it must be because you're on Pacific time. I totally ran out of time today and was jumping rope at 9:30. Not fun.