Thursday, September 18, 2008

Emiko: Day 35, And The Fat Lingers...

My left ankle started to hurt today while I did my jump-ropes. I decided to mostly ignore the pain and continue, and to just place most of my weight on my right leg. I mentioned my ankle pain to Adrian, and he had to give me some tough-love in order to get me to stop jumping. He made me realize that my ego was really getting in the way, and I was unable to simply listen to my body. 

After reaching such a high point of being able to do 1,600 jumps in a row, it is hard for me to allow myself to ease up even when I am in pain. I was getting stubborn about reaching that number each time I did my jump-ropes, and that is just dumb if your body is hurting. And it's not just jumps, my ego is attached in this way to my other exercises to, thinking that I won't be good enough if I don't push myself hard enough.

So, it was only 1,300 jumps today (should have stopped at 1,200, but like I said I was being stubborn), and I skipped the floor-jumps. I could hear an inner voice saying, "you're kind of a failure," but I heard Adrian say, "this is what's right for your body now" and I knew that he was right. Because he injured his knee recently, this stuff is definitely on his mind.

Another reason that I am getting so attached to finishing all of my exercises to the max is because I still feel...well...FAT. I have lost a lot of the fat surrounding my abdomen, and my legs are turning from flubber to muscle. My silhouette from the front is much slimmer, but when I turn to the side, not much has changed! There is still a bump there. The belly fat lingers...that big 'tire' as Tim calls it, or 'kangaroo pouch' as I think of it, it just won't disappear!

Just as I am reaching the height of my frustration with this, of course Patrick chimes in with an email about 'visceral fat' —the fat that makes the kangaroo pouch— and how it is the toughest fat in the body to get rid of. I guess that's why so many people give up working out, because they don't feel like it will ever go away. But, like Adrian wrote just now, it will eventually give way after a while as long as we stick to our diets and exercise regimens. I can't wait for that to happen, because then I will finally be able to see the results of all these 8-minute Abs workouts!

5 comments:

Patrick said...

It will help if you don't check how your fat is doing everyday. That will make the process seem slower. Just give it a looksee in the mirror once a week or just on your picture day. It will go eventually, but a watched pot never boils...

Corry said...

So true, plus, you have the added edge of never having a baby (or 3)pass thru you to stretch that area out. It will go, I swear it will, mine did finally, but yeah it happened on its own time when I wasn't looking like Patrick said.

Nate said...

Emiko stick with it that can be the most discouraging thing so far but every once in a while i look in the mirror and see a difference. Go back and look at photos from the start or something simple like how your clothes fit are a reminder than even though day to day change isn't visible it is certainly working

Amy said...

Yup...they're all right...of course I am wishing that it would go away faster but it can't hang on forever. Slow and steady, right?! We are on the right track we just have to keep moving.

Adrian and Emiko said...

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. I am definitely hanging in there, but sometimes it just get ahead of myself. I like the idea of not looking in the mirror and clinging to it so much. I will try that!

-E