Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Emiko: Day 33, A New Hero

I have been venting my frustrations with sugar for the past few days, and was feeling kind of low today (a.k.a. was in a PCP Valley). Having temptations again is frustrating, because I feel like I am falling back into my old habits and addictions all over again. I have resolved to give up anything sweet besides fruit (that means no occasional honey on my toast, agave nectar in my coffee/steamed milk, or dates...which is the toughest of all!). These things are only going to keep my body used to, and reliant on, extra sugar as a part of my diet. Well, think again, body! That sweet stuff is history!

Later on in the day, I had a revelation about my PCP hero. Patrick has suggested that if we are having intense cravings or struggling through a work-out, to think of our heroes for the Project for the strength to do what's right. Patrick used to carry around a picture of Bruce Lee to give him motivation during his Project. But, in these situations, I don't think of my official PCP Hero for inspiration. Although I admire Michelle Rodriguez for both her body and her attitude, she is not who I think of to get me through the tough times. My real PCP hero is none other than Adrian Velazco, my partner in this project and in life.

Adrian started the Project with much less body fat than I, so right now his muscles are really starting to pop out. I am motivated by his energy and his results to keep my cravings from affecting my actions, and to always push myself to do my best with each of my exercises. His excitement about getting into shape and, now, beginning training in Parkour is so contagious.

A recent example is that I recently started doing 1,350-1,700 jump-ropes in a single set. I would not have attempted even close to 1,000 jumps if Adrian had not done so first. He has also inspired me to add the 8-minute Abs video to my work-out every day, to take my exercise up a notch (which, by the way I LOVE that video). Also, Sunday night when I was really hungry and (gasp!) almost ate a bunch of extra carbs at night, I called Adrian hoping he would tell me to go for it, but he simply said something to the effect of, "Well, you are hungry. So be hungry." So I was able to just know my hunger, not let it take me over. His constant support and his attitude are so awesome.

So, thank you Adrian for being my real hero! I admire you in so many ways.

7 comments:

Em's Mum said...

Birthday cake?!?!?!?!!!!

Maybe fresh fruit shortcake? Shortcake with a not-much sugar, whole wheat biscuit and no other sugar besides the fruit, no honey drizzle, no whipped cream, no homemade ice cream?

I did read something Patrick said about life being too short not to share birthday cake among friends...

Tim said...

Birthday cake HAS to be an allowable indulgence!!

Adrian and Emiko said...

Tim,

Watch out for birthday cakes. Whenever Wile E. gets one, there's dynamite in it!

-A

Patrick said...

This was an "ahh, that's so sweet" post, which is a bit of a rarity on a PCP blog! Nice!

Adrian and Emiko said...

Em,

You keep me going. I couldn't do this alone.

-Adrian

Corry said...

ok, I'm all goosebumped and ok, I'll admit it, your post made me cry! I LOVE IT, you guys doing this together is so nice. I know it made James and I closer too and he really is a big reason I did the PCP to completion. ahhhhhhhh....so nice, off to find a tissue, I'm such a sappy chick but still, I love that post!

Adrian and Emiko said...

Corry, I can't believe that I made the most badass PCP lady cry! Well, I am glad that what I wrote touched you. You are definitely also an inspiration to me. Also, when I show people your Day 1 and Day 90 photos, that's when they finally "get it" that we are doing something incredible.