Friday, September 5, 2008

Adrian: Day 22, Just water, thanks.

So, one of the things we've all had to do for this project is to abstain from juice, soda, and other beverages with calories higher than zero. This wasn't too hard for me, because I never frequented cafes much, and don't drink much alcohol. Prior to starting the PCP, I was probably averaging 1 beer and .25 lattes a month. I've had maybe 3 sodas in the past year. But the thing I had to quit cold turkey, and still miss at times, is juice.

I loved my juices. Especially Kern's guava nectar. My parents have always had this in their fridge when I come over to visit, and I could easily drink a whole quart of the stuff, straight out of the box(sorry ma & pa). I could never get enough. But I'm pretty shocked that I ever drank as much of this stuff as I did, because a large cup of nectar is basically equivalent to breakfast. In 11.5 oz of Kern's guava nectar there are 210 calories, 53g of carbs, 10mg of sodium and 49g of sugar.

So, my choices for liquid refreshment have been limited, but actually that's a good thing. Because I'm remembering how much I love water. It's all the refreshment I need. Nothing else (maybe some cucumbers). Water is miraculous. We can drink as much of it as we want without ever becoming sick* or inebriated, we clean ourselves and our things with it, it comes out of us when we're hot, and then we go and swim in it. Diving into it is an amazing sport.

It's been so incredibly hot and humid here in Oakland that I've been drinking my water and then pouring it on myself afterwards. I couldn't do that with guava nectar. I'd get all sticky and the ants would eat me alive. Viva la agua!

*Actually its possible to overdose, so don't try and drink more than 3 gallons in five minutes. Seriously, don't do it. I'm warning you!

2 comments:

Tim said...

I'm with you on the booze and sodas, gave up booze about 16 years ago (clash with my medicine) and sodas about eight years ago (as part of a very successful diet when I lost 25kg = 55lb). But even 100% juices are not really natural - read the label. I just drink a lot of tea.

Nate said...

I think post PCP I might so some fresh juicing again. Because we are super worried about our proportions at the moment I can't but I love juicing a grapefruit, 2 oranges and a lemon in the morning it works wonders for clearing sinuses and pumping your metabolism.

Diving is an amazing sport I plan on making a blog about it sometime. I got an anatomy lesson watching the olympics divers, I couldn't believe how clearly I could see their muscles work.