Friday, October 24, 2008

Emiko: Day 71, Obese-city

Adrian and I took a nice walk tonight up to the Temescal neighborhood, and ended up going into a cafe and sharing a pot of tea. When I looked into the pastry case near the counter, I noticed how differently I think about sweets. Of all of the snackies in the case, the only one that looked appetizing to me turned out to be a 'reduced-fat oatmeal raisin scone', which Adrian said looked like more like a 'turd'. In the past, I wouldn't have hesitated to scarf down any of the other choices - like a giant, frosted maple cookie, or the sugar-rolled, buttery cake. Now when I think about eating one of them, I can almost feel my tummy churning. I know it wouldn't feel good, so I'm not even tempted anymore. I would much rather have some good ol' dried fruit.... that's my favorite kind of sweet, right there!

Later, Adrian and I started talking about how people compare themselves to each other, and size each other up. I have noticed myself sizing random people up on the street. I have had a lot of thoughts about how people don't take care of themselves like they should. There are so many severely obese people around here, and I feel bad and confused as to why their health has become such a low priority. It almost feels like there are more obese people than there were before, but it's probably just that I am more aware of it nowadays. I am so glad that Adrian and I, and the rest of the PCPers, have taken charge and put our health at the top of the list and are working to improve ourselves in this very moment, and for future.

4 comments:

Adrian and Emiko said...

When we were walking up to the cafe, there was a group of obese ladies walking ahead of us. After they walked past this group of guys hanging out by a pickup truck, all the guys checked 'em out. Obesity is becoming sexy - at least to guys who hang out by pickup trucks.

-A

Patrick said...

I've had to wrestle with similar feelings of wanting to shake people by the lapels and scream, "Why are you doing this to your body!!! Nothing is tasty enough to warrant the kind of damage you're racking up daily!!!"

But I'd just get arrested, and they'd think I was a crazy.

All we can do is lead by example and affect the people nearest us, who will affect the people nearest them, and so on. It's going to take decades but I believe the US can get its act together healthwise.

Nate said...

Emiko I think this all the time too. I feel terrible. Especially because I will engage people in conversation about healthy life style at work or with friends. And it's terrible when I start feeling like my comments are targeting the fattest one of the group. Or I get really upset when people tat are actually pretty healthy looking, are actually doing terrible things to their bodies. Or have no joy from working out. I want to be like you are a great weight, look healthy, and you work out, now why do you need a venti mocha macchiato with whipped cream! and why do you only eat one meal a day!? you could be so much healthier! So right now that bugs me because it's people like that who are the fat ones later. eventually their bodies cave in to their bad habits they can;t keep up and they give up. I hope the scene of america does change!

Tim said...

I have American friends who go back to the States for a visit and say it makes them feel slim!! In Japan, we foreigners have the opposite feeling because the average Japanese is just so small (although the kids now being brought up on hamburgers and fries are beginning to suffer the same overweight fate)