Saturday, October 4, 2008

Emiko: Day 50, Ooey Gooey Guilty Nachos

Yesterday Adrian and I had indulgence #2. This time we were allowed a bigger indulgence, more like a small meal. Something that we really wanted. Before I knew about this, I had planned to use my normal allowance of carbs during lunch time and make a grilled peanutbutter sandwich with honey and banana slices. But then Adrian mentioned that he wanted Mexican food, and I remembered how much I loved the nachos they make at El Burrito Express in San Francisco.

El Burrito Express is the main Mexican restaurant my family used to go to when I was growing up. The nachos are simple: homemade tortilla chips, refried beans, lots of melty cheese, and some cool guacamole on top. We would always order big burritos individually, and have a plate of nachos to share as an appetizer. This 'sharing' was often a lie. Usually my mom and I would eat most of the nachos on the car ride home.

I was really excited about eating these nachos, especially because I just miss cheese in general. I have had almost no cheese since beginning the PCP. Upon receiving my order of nachos, I was surprised at just how much cheese there was. Had they always been this cheesy? The amount of cheddar on those nachos was a little gross, but my mouth watered anyway and I dug in. I felt guilty from the beginning, which made it less enjoyable. I couldn't really eat it all at once, but finished them by the end of the evening. Initially, I felt fine except for a some heaviness in my belly and a slight drowsiness. Later, after more nachos, I felt even more heavy but still had some energy to practice Parkour with Adrian. I did get a little gas, though. When finally finishing the nachos, I reflected on my past.

A few years ago when I was still living at home, I could eat a whole plate of these by myself and feel happy. Now, I can still enjoy their taste but in retrospect they didn't seem worth it. I can see why these indulgences are important. They are like little PCP experiments. Like Nate says, they are mostly "for the sake of science." We learn through each experience how a certain kind of food will affect our bodies.

By the end of yesterday evening, I was feeling pretty bloated. When I woke up the next morning it was the same, and I've been bloated all day. The bloatedness and the mild gas stayed with me. The gas may also be because of addition egg whites in my new diet. I felt uncomfortable a lot of the time. Thinking about nachos now, I'm not tempted at all. Perhaps the peanutbutter sammich would have been better. Well, I'll 'experiment' with that one next time.

7 comments:

Patrick said...

The bloating is most definitely from the salt. I wrote a blog post a long time ago about South of the Border Nachos. Those things have 5,280 mg of sodium. The RDA is 2,400 mg. And the RDA is WAY too high.

So you probably delivered 2 days worth of sodium into your system.

Aren't indulgences awesomely sickening!

Adrian and Emiko said...

Oh god, I remember that post. So incredibly sickening! I am glad that I have never liked Taco Bell. But all the same, my belly was so bloated it looked like I was five months pregnant! Was the salt content all from the cheese?

So ridiculous.
-e

Patrick said...

From the cheese and the chips, yeah. Cheddar cheese is really salty, especially the cheap stuff that comes in bulk. But the chips probably accounted for the bulk of it.

I haven't had nachos in months, this is making me hanker for a gross-out salt-fest that makes me sick!

Amy said...

I thought about mexican food or some kind of "cheese bomb" as my very healthy friend puts it...sadly a bite of salsa made me realize that everything tastes super salty now. I hope you enjoyed them before the bad effects came in!

Nate said...

Amy I agree! Everything does taste salty and also any kind of drink that we cant have taste sickeningly sweet or too flavorful. I have only been drinking water and unsweetened teas I had a sip of cider the other day my mouth was like WTF! That's crazy! And I tried bottled dressing a month ago because I was running late and it was scary salty!

Patrick said...

Yeah, it's pretty mind-boggling about the saltiness/sweetness of foods. I think it creeps up a little every year as people always want something just a little sweeter or a little more savory.

One of the strangest side effects of the PCP is that a lot of foods just become inedible. Bet you didn't sign up for that!

maki said...

So interesting to see all your reactions to things that we normally had before PCP! Can't wait until I get that far!