Saturday, October 11, 2008

Adrian & Emiko: Day 58, Oryoki

Today we had our first experience with oryoki, a meditative form of eating that literally translates to "just enough." Breakfast is served oryoki style in the zendo at the Berkeley Zen Center on Saturdays. One of the members gave us and a couple other people a lesson on how to eat oryoki-style. There are three nesting bowls to eat out of, one large, one medium, and one small. And a wrapped up set of utensils including a pair of chopsticks, a spoon and a cleaning stick (can't remember the actual name of it at the moment).


We learned how to set up our bowls in preparation for receiving food, how to properly receive our food, and how to clean up once we had finished eating.

After learning all of the intricacies of the forms for eating in this way, we walked over to the zendo to sit down for breakfast. It was difficult to remember the order of things. One of the responsibilities that you have when receiving food is to tell the server when you have been given "just enough." It is important not to take too much food, as the meal is eaten at a brisk pace.

We both made a lot of mistakes, and felt embarrassed afterwards, but it was a good learning experience. To eat in such a formalized way seems stifling, but the practice really does force you into an enhanced state of awareness. An awareness fueled at first by the anxiety of making mistakes. But in general, people can benefit from being more aware while eating.

Anyway, we know this is confusing, but luckily there's a youtube video of Patrick showing the way to eat oryoki.

5 comments:

Tim said...

I can't even do seiza (Japanese sitting "kneeling on one's own lower legs, with the feet under the buttocks, toes pointed backwards" according to Wikipedia)and avoid formal Japanese settings whenever I can. My joints and muscles are too stiff. So oryoki is not something I have experienced. Even when I have tried meditation, I have used a chair.

Patrick said...

Yeah the only thing I don't like about oryoki is the fast pace of it. It always seemed weird to me to spend 15 minutes getting all your bows, chanting, and movements just right, and then have to wolf down your meal without even being able to chew thoroughly. WTF!!

Adrian said...

Tim,

Sitting seiza is painful for me too. Sitting in a chair, while not painful, is the most difficult way for me to sit in meditation. My mind seems to wander much more frequently.

Patrick,

I agree - the fast pace of the meal was a challenge. I ended up holding everyone up at the end because I was the last one to finish eating. I had to wolf down all the almonds and cashews in my small bowl.

I also didn't like how the server gave me the evil eye at one point.

-A

Adrian said...

Tim, I also wanted to mention that you might want to try using a seiza bench while meditating. It takes the weight off the knees.

-A

Nate said...

I recognized this right away because of Patrick's video lol! I think this is so awesome and want to try oryoki sometime. mindful eating is very important and this whole routine seems really awesome.